Rangers and United Advance

Part one of Scottish Cup quarter final weekend saw Rangers take on Dundee at Ibrox whilst Ross County tussled with Dundee United in Dingwall.
Rangers, currently sitting top of the championship came into the game on great form and were classed by many as favourites for the tie despite Dundee currently sitting 6th in the Premiership. However the Dens Park side came into this one fresh from a goalless draw at Celtic Park and felt that they could be more than a match for the Glasgow giants. For Rangers, though, normal service commenced after only 13 seconds when Harry Forrester fired home, stunning the away side whilst sending the watching galleries into raptures. From there on the home side took hold of the match and played with such intensity that the premiership side struggled to contain them. For all the pressure from Rangers, however, Dundee squandered a great chance to go level just before the break when a Gary Harkins header was directed straight into Wes Foderingham’s grateful arms when it looked easier to score. Two minutes into the second half, Dundee were punished. Jason Holt scored, heading home from a Kenny Miller cross. Further goals from Halliday and Lee Wallace 7 minutes from time secured an emphatic win for the Ibrox side who will march into the semi-finals full of confidence. For Dundee, the long wait for Scottish Cup success continues.
Elsewhere, in Dingwall, the crowd witnessed a thriller as the 2010 champions came back from a 2-1 deficit and the loss of a man to defeat League cup finalists Ross County 3-2. United, who currently sit bottom of the premiership, have been showing decent form recently in their bid to avoid relegation and saw this match as a positive distraction. County struck first ,however, in this one thanks to their star striker Boyce but Henry Anier levelled in the 57th minute. Two minutes later, United had Mark Durnan sent off, and following Danny Graham slotted home from the penalty spot. United, showing current premiership form, clawed their way back into the game with Anier scoring again; and with the game headed for a replay at Tanadice, Billy McKay struck in the last minute to secure the tangerines passage into the semi-finals. The traveling fans had a reason to celebrate, and celebrate they did, as throughout the season they have had little to cheer; but now Scottish cup success is tantalisingly close.
Hampden awaits !


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s